All real estate agents are required by their states to do Continuing Education, but some of us take things a few steps further and do extra study in areas that particularly interest us, or areas we think will be of special benefit to our clients. That “above and beyond” training sometimes leads to certifications and designations from our governing body, the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). Here is an explanation of some I’ve earned, and what the abbreviations mean:
- ABR – Accredited Buyer’s Representative: earned by reaching a series of benchmarks that demonstrate superior skill set and advanced knowledge, this designation is for real estate professionals who have a passion for working with buyer-clients and want to take their excellence and service to the next level.
- AHWD – At Home With Diversity: This certification is designed to enable REALTORS® to work successfully with and within a rapidly changing multicultural market, learn diversity sensitivity and how it applies to U.S. fair housing laws in real estate, and develop professional guidelines for working with people in the increasingly multicultural real estate market.
- C2EX – Commitment to Excellence: Achieving this endorsement means being recognized by NAR as committed to practicing real estate at the highest professional standard in the industry
- CIPS – Certified International Property Specialist: A global real estate professional who has undergone specialized training to complete international transactions seamlessly and with reduced risk. Only REALTORS® who have completed extensive coursework and demonstrated considerable experience in international business are awarded this prestigious designation.
- CLHMS – Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist: This designation assures affluent buyers and sellers that the agents who have earned it have the knowledge, experience, competence, and confidence they require.
- GRI – Graduate REALTOR® Institute: REALTORS® with the GRI designation have in-depth training in legal and regulatory issues, technology, professional standards, and the sales process.
- PSA – Pricing Strategy Advisor: This certification is specifically designed to enhance skills in pricing properties, creating CMAs, working with appraisers, and guiding clients through the anxieties and misconceptions they often have about home values.
- RSPS – Resort & Second-Home Property Specialist: This certification is for REALTORS® who specialize in buying, selling, or management of properties for investment, development, retirement, or second homes in resort, recreational, and/or vacation destinations.